A Wandering Path

I don't live on a lot of land. My backyard is about a quarter of an acre. For anyone who doesn't know what that means, it means I live in the middle of Suburbia in a city of about 50,000.

Anyone who knows me decently well knows that this is something that I find rather distressing. The inability to wander the fields while pretending to be one of L.M. Montgomery or Jane Austen's great literary heroines, or take care of the animals like Beatrix Potter on the farm that she bought to rescue it from being developed, or roam the woods like a woodland elf in Middle Earth is a loss that I feel greatly.

However, my house does back onto a closed golf course.

Most golf courses have a downright snobby feeling. You walk onto one and feel that if you aren't wearing a polo, khaki pants, and carrying a bag of golf clubs, you may as well be dressed as if you were Lorelai Gilmore dropping Rory off at her first day at Chilton. But my golf course has been closed for about a year and hasn't been developed yet, meaning that it's lost the maintained look that many golf courses have. But it still has a path that more or less runs through the whole course.

Last night, the weather was absolutely glorious. There was a warm breeze and a somewhat cloudy sky and I could see the gate to the golf course from where I sat in the kitchen, calling to me. The sun was just beginning to set and the earth gained that golden glow to it. So after a brief moment of debating, I grabbed my boots, my camera, and my headphones (music and long walks go together hand-in-hand in my mind), and headed out.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo,
going out front door. You step onto the
road, and if you don't keep your feet,
there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I love the lighting in this picture. 

The trees haven't quite reached their peak of colour, but
they're getting close. 

Contrast. 

Autumn moonrise.
I've been practicing with adjusting my shutter speed and
aperture to capture the detail of the moon. I think this one
turned out pretty well. 

Comments

  1. Wow, those photos are gorgeous. I love exploring the nooks and subtle areas of forestry and wildlife that make you feel like you've been transported to another world. <3

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment